Monday 13 January 2014

The price paid to volunteer....Time and ££

As the Glasgow 2014 Common Wealth Games gets closer and closer, the realisation of the cost of volunteering beyond just your personal time is setting in for many, so I thought I'd do a post on the realistic costs of volunteering at events! Obviously this is just my personal opinion on things, and how I personally choose to make my decisions about events etc. I appreciate everyone is different and has different views. Fingers crossed it might help one person....somewhere!

Before I talk costs, first I'll offer some guidance on working out 'if it's worth it' for your personal circumstances....
Note: not all volunteering costs money and lots of time! The more local the event is, the cheaper the transport to it and the less time required travel to it :o)

1. Check your availability for the event: different roles and events have different availability requirements. Make sure you're honest about these - don't just say the maximum in hope that it will stand you in a better chance of getting a role. What would happen if after you've invested lots of time and money attending training to be given your rota and not be able to make 7/10 of your shifts so the organisation offers the role to someone else instead? So check you're holiday allowance, speak to your boss at work, ask what time you can have off, speak to friends and family, work out what is actually realistic... it will make life so much easier come the event! How gutted would you be if you get a role and your boss doesn't let you have the time off? Just be honest about things!

2. Check how many training days are required: 99% of organisations will state how many days you will be required prior to the event - ask yourself, can I realistically commit to this? Will I be able to get the time off work? Will I be able to get childcare for these times? Deem training as compulsory unless emergency situations arise - don't be 'that person' that thinks they're 'too special' or 'experienced enough' to not have to attend. What would happen if everyone decided it wasn't worth it - no one at the event would be trained! My view is either I fully commit to doing something or don't do it at all.

3. Check when you will hear by: most of the applications I've submitted have an 'application due' date and a 'you will hear by' date or time frame. Take the worst case scenario, if you don't hear by then, can you still get time off work, arrange for all those mentioned in the above? Is there something you'd rather be doing? Too many times I hear, "I haven't heard yet, I'm really annoyed because I can't book a holiday".... if you get the role you wouldn't be having a holiday anyway!!

4. Check what expenses will be paid: 99% of FAQ's or volunteer adverts will tell you if the organisation will be paying expenses. Make a note of the distance if the organisation will only pay travel expenses for so many miles, this can be handy when looking for accommodation!

5. Check average costs for training AND event time....and don't expect the £19 a night Travelodge Deals! You'll find that normal principles apply to booking transport, 12 weeks in advance for trains and the like. Obviously if you wait until the week before you'll expect to pay a small fortune, but working in advance is worth it. BUT.... don't depend on booking in advance...you might still be awaiting your outcome depending on Number 3 above :-)
Accommodation, is a different matter! For small scale events, think UK School Games and the like, it's likely you can get half decent prices at Travelodge/Premier Inn type places. Olympic Games and the like, don't even THINK you'll get cheap accommodation! My best advice is to think about exactly what you 'REALLY' need, yes we'd all love a 5* hotel right by the venue, but that will obviously come at 5* prices and some more!! My best bit of advice would be to start saving as you start filling in your application form! If you save too much, well that's a few extra beers or t-shirts, too little and you struggle your way through...

6. Check what the role options are and what the guarantee of getting these...obviously there are certain roles that the majority of people would want at an event. It's normally not feasible for everyone to get what they applied for. Before applying make sure you check that roles are available and if you'd mind being given something other than you're applying for. Sometimes it your role allocation might make no sense at all to you, but are you willing to trust the organisation to allocate you a role they think you have the skills for? Number 1 tip... Be prepared for change! Things happen, people drop out, new roles are required and logistics change. Be prepared to turn up and muck in with what ever needs to be done on the day to get the event to go off with a bang!

My final thing to advise you on, DO NOT VOLUNTEER INSTEAD OF BUYING TICKETS!! If you really, really, really, want to see the action (and will be grumpy if you don't see it!) buy tickets!! As a volunteer you could be placed ANYWHERE unless your role specifically says 'court side', there's every chance you could be in a car park directing people into the venue, or in a corridor stopping unauthorised people walking down it! You have been warned! :-)

I can't emphasise how important it is to consider all these things upfront and really thinking through your expectations - applying 'just to say you have' only wastes your time and adds extra work for those doing the organising and recruiting.

Remember....There are always plenty of people who have the time and money ready to commit to the event. It's a shame for them not to get the opportunity because of someone applying 'just to say they have'. It would be a shame for you to drop out last minute and it be too late for someone who was willing and ready to take up the opportunity if they'd have been accepted when you had!

If you've gone through all these are are definitely ready to commit then read on for the typical costs I've paid whilst volunteering.....

UK School Games 2011 Sheffield: 1 x training event + 5 day event
£45 petrol - I lived in Gateshead at the time, so I had the petrol there and back for the 2hr training
£45 petrol - travel for the time of the event
£200 accommodation - 7 nights in a Premier Inn 5mins drive from venue
£60 food - some nights I went and brought food from Asda, others I was so shattered I ordered room service, some nights I worked 14hr+ shifts so I got 2 meals provided!

World Netball Series 2011 Liverpool: no training + 2 days event
£45 - By this time I'd moved to Sheffield so commuted from Sheffield to Liverpool each morning and evening. Drove Snake Pass for the first time....whilst it was pitch black! It's worth noting this event was 5 days long, but I was only available for the weekend shifts.

London 2012: 2 x training, 1 x Uniform, 12 day event
£52.45 - Travel to Role Specific Training
£52.45 - Travel to Venue Training
£18 - Tube travel to get from St. P to Hackney and the likes!
£0 - For Uniform and Accreditation Collection (I was in London on other business!)
£900 - Travelodge in Covent Garden for 12 nights
£45 - Travel to London for the games! I booked this well in advance, paid extra to change my return ticket to a later time once I heard the parade was happening...also paid £3 extra for the 1st class upgrade!
£60 - Food. My shifts were 12pm-"8pm", so I was never awake for breakfast...and became a regular in the Sainburys opposite Holborn tube!
£9 - luggage store in St. P so I could watch the parade hassle free.
In addition to this, I don't want to add up the amount I spent on merchandise. Tickets I bought aren't included either....they came to at least £200 but that's something else I don't want to add up!

Note: I think I was lucky with London - I didn't find out I had my role until quite late on, by which point hotels had started reducing their prices. I did weigh up the idea of staying further outside of London and commuting in, but I really wanted to be in the buzz of it. Central Line did me proud!

Glasgow 2014: Possible 3-4 training, 1 x Uniform, 12 day event
So far...
£45 + £29 - Travel to interview: I drove back to Gateshead, stayed with my parents then go the train to Glasgow!
£36 - Travel to Orientation Training - I booked these 12 weeks in advance! Shef -> NCL -> Glasgow return!
£238 - Accommodation aka. my tent on a campsite!! I've took the brave decision to book via Camping Ninja (http://campinginglasgow.com/volunteer-special/) for the price, it's amazing value! All I'm worried about is the communal showers, but I'm sure I'll survive!
Expecting:
- At least another 2 or maybe 3 trips to Glasgow for training and uniform collection
- Travel to Glasgow for the games (definitely driving, not taking my tent on the train!)
- Food whilst there
- Travel whilst there (will more than likely be free but may as well over estimate!)
- Additional costs for the likes of merchandise and beer!

At the end of the day, it's important to be honest about the cost of volunteering, both time and money wise. Volunteering wouldn't be half as fun if I was too busy concentrating on how much things were costing or how much work I'd have to do when I got back! If you're wanting to volunteer but don't have the time or money to go and do 'big' events, look local! There's LOADS of sports clubs, charities and random organisations that would benefit from your time, probably more than a 'big' event would! :-)

Feel free to share your own opinions and costs via the comments below :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment