Friday 24 April 2015

Baku 2015: European Games - Field of Play: Diving!

Friday 24th April 2015

Back in October 2014 I submitted an application to volunteer at the First European Games in Baku, Azerbaijan! I'd heard nothing since my application - my invite to interview went astray into my spam folder - so I was surprised to see this email land in my inbox this week, alongside my RWC2015 news:

"Dear Aquatics Volunteers,  

Thank you for applying to volunteer in the sport of Aquatics at the Baku 2015 European Games. Aquatics is made up of four disciplines; Diving, Synchronised Swimming, Swimming and Water Polo the dates for each sport are listed below:

Synchronised Swimming:                             9th – 16th June
Water Polo:                                        9th  – 21st June
Diving:                                                  15th – 21st June
Swimming:                                          19th – 27th June

We are delighted to offer you a volunteer position for the European Games."

After a few emails back and forth today and a quick Skype chat, I received confirmation that I've been accepted to volunteer at Baku 2015! 
Best part is that for once a major event won't cost me a fortune as Baku 2015 are covering my expenses!! :-)

I've submitted my availability between the 13th - 22nd June so that I can volunteer at the diving competition as a Field of Play Assistant. I've been allocated the same role that I'll be doing for the Rugby World Cup 2015 - different sport, obviously. This isn't the first time I've volunteered with diving, after my experience with USA Diving back in 2012 it will be good to be back beside the pool!

Watch this space and I'll keep you up dated on my adventure.... Not long to go!

Thursday 28th May 2015
Today is the day. My pre-arrival visa arrived in Sheffield! It's sat on my desk here, right now, alongside the useful information on Baku and my Baku wrist band! Last week I received my plane tickets alongside my shift plan. After the disappointment of Sochi 2014, I can finally get excited! All I await now is details of my accommodation. 

Friday 5th June 2015

I've now my accommodation through - a nice 4* hotel with 4* TripAdvisor Reviews. I'll be in a shared room (mystery as to who my buddy is!) with air-conditioning. It's bed and breakfast with a sauna and gym also available - only slight improvement on my Glasgow 2014 tent :-) It's all getting pretty exciting - all that's left to do now is await my departure date and pack my bag!

Oh yeah - check out the weather comparison! 

Also, I've volunteered to be Team Leader for a few shifts! Can't wait to try my volunteer coordinating skills out in another country! Fingers crossed the radio calls are in English ;-)



**Note: As with previous games, I will NOT be blogging a day by day account whilst at the games!!**

No comments:

Post a Comment